Thursday, October 9, 2008

Another one?

Oh man...I'm so bad at keeping up with our blog. It's been a busy month! First...meet Sophie, the newest addition to our "zoo". She is a Spectacled Amazon. Gorgeous huh?
Thanks to the missionaries, Dirk officially formed the Hooley Bird Rescue when I was visiting in Utah over Labor Day. Long story short...a guy in our ward (we don't know him) has terminal cancer. He left suddenly to see a doctor in New York & left a neighbor in charge of feeding his bird & dogs. Dirk was VERY worried about this bird not getting the attention it needed. He swore it was going to get depressed & pluck all its feathers out! So the missionaries contacted this guy in NY who told them that he needed to find a new home for his precious Petey (Peedee?). Guess who volunteered?! I was under the impression that we'd be the "foster family" & find it a good home. NOT! Dirk quickly went from foster parent...

...to adoptive parent!

Sheesh!!! Now he has 2 girls! And they are definitely his girls! Boo has always been so good about going to any of us, but she's still a Daddy's Girl. Sophie (that's her new name since we all hated Petey) will only go to Dirk without nipping or biting his fingers off! I call her BRAT! We think that this guy didn't handle her much so we are really working with her to get her used to it. She is actually getting better, but it's been a slower process than we thought it would be. We've been told that these birds are very loyal & that it will take some time for her to switch her loyalty from him to us. We have to work with her every single day, be really patient, & show her who's boss at the same time, which is hard when she wants to peck your eye out!!

I've got to get to bed, but I'll fill you in on the rest of our busy-ness later.

7 comments:

Jana said...

Sisters definitely think alike -- we both changed the background to the same layout!! FUNNY! We are so excited you are coming up for New Years! We decided we had better take some more family photos, since it has been a year from the last photo! So--stick with the biggest looser contest for the beauty shot!

Kyle and Serene Hardy said...

I didn't know that you were planning on coming for New Years! That will be so much fun!! Oh, and good luck with the new birdie.

melissa marie said...

ha ha I love it! We still laugh about the pic of Dirk in the shower with the bird.

Ashley said...

Hello Neighbors! So glad you found our blog! Yours is so cute!Thanks for being great neighbors:)

Therena Taylor & Family said...

Yes, I am so excited that you blog!! Love the pictures of Dirk with the birds- we definitely don't see enough of him or you!

Heather said...

Woohoo! I found your blog thanks to my trusty site meter. Thanks for linking my photography site.

Heather said...

Oh, and how's your beloved "cankle"?