I've been meaning to post about this for 2 months. Maybe I've been putting it off so I wouldn't be accountable to all of you! Losing weight is always such an emotional battle for me. Ok, that & the fact that I'm not extremely motivated by giving up sweets & carbs (my favorite!) or by exercising in any way, shape, or form. Even knowing my family history hasn't seemed to make much difference...diabetes being the worst of it. I sure have been thinking about it a lot more though. It's an age thing!! All of my family members with diabetes seemed to get the diagnosis in their early 40's. Well, I'm gettin' there...& fast!
So on Sept 7th, we started the "Biggest Loser" competition at work. I, along with several friends & coworkers, committed to this crazy idea that we were all going to lose weight & get in shape in 3 months. We had to have an end date, Dec 7th, & the biggest loser wins a prize! Although they haven't told us what that will be yet. Hmmm....do you think they are hoping our weight loss is the prize? Anyway, with so many people doing it, I guess I couldn't say no. What better way to get motivated than to be accountable to 30 other people doing the same thing? They'd be watching! But why oh why would we start this during the holidays?! Who came up with that idea? We should have started in January like normal people!
It actually hasn't been as bad as I thought. It was just what I needed to get motivated. I decided to tell myself that I was NOT dieting, just making better food choices. I also decided not to feel guilty about any cheating I might do. That has helped a ton! In fact, I can't eat as many sweets as I once did. I physically feel sick when I cheat too much. I allow myself some cheating on the weekends, but I am starting to pay for it. Weird....


It has also helped that one of my friend's from work, Genelle, agreed to join my gym. A financial commitment from her? Again, couldn't say no! My boss pays for my membership but hers doesn't. We work for different contractors. My only setback, or so I thought, was that I sprained my ankle 3 weeks before this started this "contest" so I was very limited in the exercise department. Genelle has been so awesome & agreed to do water aerobics with me 3 times a week. We're hooked!! A bunch of chubby ladies learnin' the moves in the pool! Now I feel guilty if I miss a class. Interesting huh? In fact, I have gotten to the point where I NEED the class for my mental health. I seriously never, in my wildest dreams, ever thought I'd get to this point in my life. It's amazing! Since I've been "released" from the doctor to get back to my normal life after this ankle setback, I now need to work towards adding more cardio or another class or at least walking on the treadmill on my days off from water aerobics.
After all this, I know you're asking yourself, "how much has she lost?" or "how is she doing?". Well, I haven't been quite as successful as I'd hoped. As of last Monday, I am at a total weight loss of 6 lbs & 3 oz. Not much, but it's something. When we first started, we also had our measurements taken & fat percentage measured too. You know, the dreaded pinch test!! We did the halfway measurements last Monday as well. I'm not sure how many, if any, inches I've lost, but I'll find out & let you know. My clothes are starting to feel better though. That's also something....
So there you have it. I've laid it out there to be accountable to the rest of my family & friends. Let's see if I can lose another 6 lbs before Christmas pictures!















5 comments:
Good for you Dae!! I totally feel the same way about the whole... losing weight department! I just haven't found something yet that really motivates me enough to stick with something! So I am excited for you that you have found something that works! Keep it up!
It was fun to see you friday- you were the life of the party! I'm rooting for you "loser"- WAY TO GO!!
Good job Dae! Isn't it funny how "addicting" excercising can be? And I thought that only happened with Chocolate Cake! Huh! :)
With your ankle feeling better you should try running. I LOVE RUNNING! I am SO addicted to the feeling you get when you are done! I LOVE IT!
Awesome! Do you go to La Fitness by our house? I have been wanting to try water aerobics, I think I may brave the waters and my swim suit tonight.
Wow that is awesome! I have recently started cycling and I love it! It breaks up the monotony of running on a treadmill. It sounds like water aerobics does the same for you. Love you!
Post a Comment